Often asked: My Neighbor Smokes What Can I Do?
- 1 Can you stop a neighbor from smoking?
- 2 What can I do about neighbor’s cigarette smoke?
- 3 Can I sue my neighbor for smoking?
- 4 How do I sabotage my neighbor?
- 5 How do you neutralize cigarette smoke?
- 6 How do you stop cigarette smoke from spreading?
- 7 Do smokers have rights?
- 8 Can cigarette smoke travel through walls?
- 9 Does cigarette smoke travel up or down?
- 10 How do I get back at a bad neighbor?
- 11 How do you know if your neighbor is watching you?
- 12 How do you annoy downstairs neighbors legally?
Can you stop a neighbor from smoking?
The answer is generally “no,” but the exceptions are becoming more numerous. In January, a law was passed in Belmont, California (a city in the San Francisco area) that prohibits smoking inside apartment complexes. Calabasas, California, prohibits smoking in 80 percent of the city’s apartments.
What can I do about neighbor’s cigarette smoke?
Your city or county health department or local smokefree coalition can assist you. Even if there isn’t currently a law in your area, there may be efforts underway to track complaints about drifting smoke in housing, encourage landlords to make their buildings smokefree, and other local resources that you can utilize.
Can I sue my neighbor for smoking?
Your neighbor could be responsible for harming you directly by smoking, and your landlord could be responsible for knowing about the drifting smoke and failing to do any thing to protect you from it. So you may be able to sue both your landlord and your neighbor, or you may be able to sue only one or the other.
How do I sabotage my neighbor?
How to Make Your Neighbors Miserable
- You could mow your lawn very early in the morning.
- You could have a few pizzas delivered to their address.
- Allow your pets to do their business in your neighbor’s yard and don’t use a pooper scooper.
- Doorbell ditch!
- TP their tree!
- Place rubber snakes around their garden beds.
How do you neutralize cigarette smoke?
The following materials are believed to be capable of absorbing or neutralizing tobacco smoke odors, at least temporarily:
- vinegar. Place a bowl of vinegar in each affected room overnight.
- baking soda.
- coffee grounds.
How do you stop cigarette smoke from spreading?
Install door draft excluders under doors that open into hallways and common areas. Seal around windows with caulk or weather stripping. This will prevent smoke from entering your unit and will increase your energy efficiency. Install extractive window fans.
Do smokers have rights?
There is no such thing as a constitutional “right to smoke,” since the U.S. Constitution does not extend special protection to smokers. Smoking is not a specially protected liberty right under the Due Process Clause of the Constitution.
Can cigarette smoke travel through walls?
Yes, smoke can travel through walls … According to TobaccoFreeCA, smoke can travel through walls. However, even though cigarette smoke seeps into walls, floors and ceilings, when it travels it tends to act in a similar way to water – it takes the easiest and fastest route.
Does cigarette smoke travel up or down?
There are some building dynamics which will affect pressurization such as stack effect. This is the movement from the air in lower levels to higher levels. Therefore, if the smoker is in the unit below you, the secondhand smoke will usually move up into your unit easier than it could move down into a lower unit.
How do I get back at a bad neighbor?
Before Seeking Revenge on Bad Neighbors—Try Diplomacy
- Bring a little gift if you feel like it (flowers or baked goods)
- Make sure you’re calm and composed.
- Visit your neighbors.
- Inform them about the noise they’re making or any other problem they’re causing.
- Explain why it bothers you and how it affects your activities.
How do you know if your neighbor is watching you?
You see them staring over your fence or into your yard If you see them looking over your fence or staring at your yard a lot then you know that your neighbor is watching you. The exception to this rule is if they are outside doing yard work a lot. This can be a seasonal thing.
How do you annoy downstairs neighbors legally?
There’s nothing to worry about, just keep on reading!
- USE A LAWNMOVER TO CREATE NOISE.
- BLAST MUSIC WITH THIS STEREO.
- SCARE YOUR NEIHGHBOR WITH A RUBBER SNAKE.
- CREATE NOISE WITH BASKETBALL.
- PLAY SOME DRUMS TO ANNOY YOUR NEIGHBORS.